Western Hospital provides Echocardiography Services in Sri Lanka. Echocardiography uses ultrasound waves to create a picture of the heart, called an echocardiogram (echo). It is a noninvasive medical procedure that produces no radiation and does not typically cause side effects. Doctors also use echocardiography when they want to examine a personâs general heart health, especially after a heart attack or stroke. Echocardiography services in Sri Lanka are found in main centers whereas western hospital performs transthoracic echocardiogram and fetal echocardiogram.
A doctor may ask for an Echo cardiogram to:
- determine how well the heart is pumping blood
- assess the reasons for an abnormal electrical test of the heart, called an electrocardiogram (EKG)
- diagnose heart disease â including weak pumping or stiffening of the heart muscle, leaky or blocked heart valves, and chamber enlargement â in adults
- locate blood clots or tumors
- assess the pressure in the heart to diagnose a condition called pulmonary hypertension
- identify congenital heart abnormalities in infants and young children
- monitor how well the heart responds to different heart treatments, such as heart failure medications, artificial valves, and pacemakers
There is no preparation required but an appointment is required. No fasting is required.
An Echo cardiogram generally takes 20 minutes. Hereâs what happens:
- The nursing staff and cardiologist may require the patient to wear a hospital gown
- The cardiologist will then instruct the person to lie on a table, on either their back or on their side.
- A gel may be applied to the chest before the examination and the probe maybe be placed on the chest area
- During the exam, the doctor may ask someone to change positions or take a deep breath. They might press the transducer into the chest to get a better picture of the heart.
- Once the procedure is undertaken a report will be given to the patient by the cardiologist and further treatment may be recommended
- No Fasting
- Appointment required
- Wear Loose Clothes