Bioimpedence analysis (BIA) is a valuable tool for measuring your body compositionâthe measurement of body fat in relation to lean body mass. It is an important part of any comprehensive health and nutrition assessment. Bioimpedence analysis enables early detection of an improper balance in your body composition, which allows for earlier intervention and prevention. Bioimpedence also provides the measurement of fluid and body mass that can be a critical assessment tool for your current state of health.
Bioimpedence is also a useful non-invasive test to can be used for:
- kidney function, which is accurate and painless. This is a convenient, safe and practical test that can be used to gauge creatinine clearance from the body, and gives a more accurate method of determining kidney function.
- Nutrional assessment
- Need to get an appointment prior to coming
- A serum creatinine report valid within a 1 week time frame is required
A Bio impedance test usually takes about 10-15 minutes. Here is what happens:
- This non-invasive test simply involves the placement of two electrodes on the patients right hand and foot by a nurse. Thus A low level, imperceptible electrical current is sent through the body.
- Measurements are taken with the Bio impedance analyzer, which uses electrodes similar to EKG electrodes. The analyzer calculates your tissue and fluid compartments using an imperceptible electrical current passed through pads placed on one hand and foot as you lie comfortably on a hospital bed or couch.
- After 10-15 minutes, a report will be provided to you by a nurse who might advice you to meet a consultant.