Doppler Scanning, which can be used to determine how blood Â¬flows through your vessels, and helps doctors study major blood vessels for clots or plaque and evaluate blood flÂ¬ow in the heart, kidneys limbs and other major organs. A Doppler ultrasound is a risk-free and pain-free procedure that requires little preparation. The test provides your doctor with important information about the flow of blood through your major arteries and veins. It can also reveal blocked or reduced blood flow through narrowed areas in the arteries, which could eventually lead to a stroke.
Western hospital provides a doppler scanning services in Sri Lanka. They include:
- Pelvic area
- Specific arteries and blood vessels (e.g. Carotid Artery, Iliac Vessels)
Some conditions detectable from the scans include:
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), a condition that occurs when a blood clot forms in a vein deep inside your body (usually in the leg or hip regions)
- Superficial Thrombophlebitis, an inflammation of the veins due to a blood clot in a vein just below the skin’s surface
- Arteriosclerosis, a narrowing and hardening of the arteries that supply blood to the legs and feet
- Thromboangiitis Obliterans, a rare disease in which the blood vessels of the hands and feet become inflamed and swollen
- Vascular tumors in your arms or legs
- A Doppler ultrasound can help determine the blood pressure within your arteries. It can also show how much blood is currently flowing through your arteries and veins.
- Need to get an appointment prior to coming
- If youâre a smoker, your doctor may ask you to stop smoking for several hours before the test. Smoking causes your blood vessels to narrow, which can affect the results of your test.
- For Doppler scans on your belly
- Need 6-12 hours fasting (meals only)
- Clear fluids and regular medications are allowed
- For pelvic Doppler scans
- Drink 1 liter of water 1 hour prior to test
- A full bladder is required for the test
- Hand/Neck/Leg Doppler scans
- Fasting is not required
- Leave all jewelry at home
- Generally, wear loose clothes
A Doppler Ultrasound scan test usually takes about 30-60 minutes. Hereâs what happens:
- In certain scans before the exam, you will need to change into a hospital gown and you will most likely be lying down on a bed with a section of your body exposed for the test. Youâll need to remove clothing, jewelry, and any other objects from the area that will be studied.
- During the scan medical personnel and radiologist will apply a special lubricating jelly to your skin.
- Using the transducer on the gel, the appropriate image of the organ or tissue part will be taken.
- To examine your arteries, the person administering the test may place blood pressure cuffs around various areas of your body. The cuffs will generally be applied to your thigh, calf, ankle, or different points along your arm. These cuffs help compare the blood pressure in different parts of your leg or arm.
- After the procedure, the gel will be cleaned off of your skin. You will be free to go about your normal activities after the procedure has finished. You will then be advised to meet your doctor with the Doppler Ultrasound scan report later.
- When examining your leg arteries and veins, your doctor will look for narrowing of the blood vessels.
Appointment Required, Fasting required on Some Scans