Western Hospital has a well-equipped Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) in Sri Lanka. Patients whore require these services are generally patients who are severely ill, and require intensive, round-the-clock care. With a multidisciplinary, collaborative & highly trained group of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals manning the MICU and since the unit is managed with the highest infection control standards you are rest assured to achieve the best patient outcomes possible in an emergency.
MICU provides acute care for wide variety of complex health problems including:
- lung complications
- kidney complications
- liver complications
- gastrointestinal complications
- cancer problems
- blood infections
Patients enter this unit when the doctor medically concludes that the patient is critical and needs care. Therefore we advise families and friends of the sick the following:
- Assist us with encouraging rest for the patient;
- Avoid visiting if you are sick;
- Discuss visiting by children in advance with the ICU Nurse or Physician;
- Refrain from eating or drinking and using cell phones in the ICU
- Please help us prevent infections by observing precautions posted on doors and walls, following nursesâ instructions, and washing your hands before a visit.
- Do not be alarmed by alarms in the unit
- Stay calm at all times during treatment