A kidney transplant improves the quality of life for patients that have end-stage kidney failure. Western Hospital has the longest running kidney transplant program in Sri Lanka; we performed the first kidney transplant in Sri Lanka in 1985, and have successfully completed over 1500 local & international kidney transplants since then. Given our experience, expertise and efficiency, opting for a kidney transplantation in Sri Lanka, Western Hospital is a reliable solution.
Features of the Western Hospital kidney transplant programme include
- A comprehensive, structured and cohesive process that takes you from registration, consultation and counselling, right up to the operating table
- An efficient system to do a thorough examination of patient and donor before transplantation.
- Streamline legal processes.
- An expert post-transplant care team made up of specialists, nurses and support staff
- A specialized Renal Intensive Care Unit for only post transplant patients, ensuring the best care possible for recovery and a successful outcome
- Post transplant clinics for follow ups
- We also offer plasmapheresis services
- Assistance with obtaining aid from the Presidentâs Fund
- Prompt procedure, where a kidney transplant can be arranged within three weeks
- All kidney transplants have to be approved by the Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
Transparency and Ethics
There is an ethical altruistic screening process first which is conducted with our own independent donor authorization screening committee, which is chaired by a Senior Judicial Medical Professor, before final authorization is given by the Director General of Health Services, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka.
Our experienced transplant surgeons perform kidney transplants in our fully equipped twin modern operating theatres.
Sri Lankaâs Largest Renal Post Transplant ICU
We continuously strive to improve our services and maintain our expert ranking in the industry. we are proud to say that we are the only hospital in the private sector with a Post Transplant ICU dedicated only to transplant patients.. Our post transplant ICU can accommodate up to eight patients, and provides a safe and well equipped environment to recover from a kidney transplant.
Post transplant care is an extremely important part of the process, and our experienced team will ensure the best care possible for a speedy recovery, with close monitoring of kidney function and vigilance for early signs of rejection, administration of medications and so on. Our dedicated and efficient staff will care for you for weeks until your kidney function returns to a normal level. We are dedicated to providing a continuous follow up after transplantation to give the patient the best outcome after transplantation.
Contact the Western Hospital Kidney Transplant Coordination Center for more information regarding kidney transplants.